This last week I had 2 quilts made from men's shirts that I had to quilt.
The first was made up of "challenge blocks" by a group of ladies and the winner got the lot. She hand sewed the hexagons together and made a quilt 60" x 70". I was in awe of quite a few of the hexagons blocks, with them matching the stripes perfectly.
The lady who joined the above blocks enjoyed the challenge so much, she made another quilt by cutting 4 triangles & joining them into a square, instead of 6 triangles into a hexagon.
In the meantime, I have been getting ready for my stall at Quiltarama next weekend and have made and packaged sets of 24 of these birds (12 of each colour)
and made heaps of the hearts (in 3 sizes)
Plus I have cut out kits of 12 x 8.5" squares in Christmas fabric...
and other fabric.
Theses will go with the finished items I have made, such as table runners, zippered bags, tea-towels and many other items. (I don't think I have enough display area for all of my things!)
Earlier this year, while I was away on "Nanna Duties", I took some embroidery to do in any spare time I had.
There were 7 patterns (one missing from this photo), so I embroidered a blue set and a pink set.
Using fabric from my stash, I complemented the embroidered squares with a cute nursery theme.
As the 7th square didn't fit in with my layout, I again looked in my stash and came across a fabric that had nappy pins as the print...that made my mind up on which embroidered square to use in a third quilt.
Using the nappy pin fabric as the light contrast, I made up this quilt yesterday afternoon, then quilted & bound it this morning.
I have become very UN-satisified with the 100% Australian cotton wadding I purchased a while ago... I bought 4 HUGE rolls, and am finding that the thickness varies considerably.... so much so, I have used TWO LAYERS of wadding in this quilt.
As I am unhappy with that wadding, I decided to buy different wadding from a different supplier and use up the 100% cotton I have on my own quilts... or smallish customer quilts (less than 46" in width) all at double thickness.
Anyone else having problems with 100% cotton being too thin??????
This "third" quilt (yellow) measures 35" x 44"
.... as yet, I haven't finished the "first" quilt (pink one) and haven't started the "third" quilt (blue one).
I have been busy preparing things for Mum to do while she is staying at my sister's place.
I find that I have to get Mum to do things to keep her mind active (dementia), so I always cut things out and place things in front of her and mention what she has to do. I do everything except the sewing...she is still a perfectionist when it comes to sewing.
Mum LOVES doing applique on her machine, so I am bagging each item separately with its matching top & bobbin threads... labeling EVERYTHING.
I die cut these cute cars.. you waste a lot of fabric and vilisoflex, valisoflex, ... sticky stuff on the back of the fabric, but I think it is worth it...they are so cute, and will look even better after they have been stitched with blanket stitch.
The I found this Chook Shed pattern and started cutting one out...and thought..what the heck!...I'll cut 2 out and Mum can blanket stitch both of these.
Mum use to knit the cotton dish cloths, but now she has forgotten how to knit.... so I must keep the sewing up, plus she reads a weekly Scottish magazine (People's Friend), and sleeps watches TV.
Tomorrow I must get some hand stitching prepared for me.